Sunday 1 September 2013

A Perfect Day

30 Day Bog Challenge - Day 2, The Suitcase Entrepreneur asks us “If you woke up tomorrow and were free to do anything you wanted with your life, what would you do and who would you be?”

My immediate answer was that I would like to sleep for the day, just relax and turn my mind off from work, from paying the bills, from doing the housework, from starting an online business, from trying to lose weight, from saving up to travel the world.


Its all so tiring.

Just writing this down makes me realise that I do not want to continue with this lifestyle or be this person however it doesn’t help me figure out what I actually want do with my life or who  want to be…
So I think about what I’d like to do when I wake up from an amazingly refreshing sleep, what would that day look like?

Well first things first I wouldn’t go into the office (where office doesn’t mean Ally McBeal style private offices with huge desks, leather chairs and amazing views, nor does lunch break mean catching up on the gossip with your girlfriends in a trendy café à la Sex in the City (these shows have a lot to answer for in making lasting impressions of what work life should be like, hence the major disappointment!)

If I wasn’t working in an office then yes the ideal would be working on my laptop from the beach. But what if I wasn’t working? What if I was just doing things that I enjoy, could I earn money without feeling like I’m working? Could I get paid for enjoying myself? Now that sounds like the dream.

10 things I enjoy doing
  • Reading books
  • Writing
  • Learning new languages
  • Yoga
  • Jacuzzis
  • Seeing new places
  • Watching sunsets
  • Eating curry
  • Drinking wine
  • Dancing


Now, I’m not saying I am any good at these things, for example I couldn’t be a yoga instructor or a dance teacher. Could I get paid to read – do publishers still need proof readers?

Really that leaves writing, and that’s subjective as to whether I’m any good at it. I do a fair bit of copywriting at work and it has kind of killed my passion for it.  Funnily enough when I was younger, what did I want to be when I grew up? You guessed it, I wanted to be a writer, I loved reading and wanted to write stories.  A couple of years ago I wrote a Christmas story for my friend’s little boy called Dash the Reindeer, if you have time please read it and let me know what you think.

What else did I want to be? I wanted to be a Tae Kwon Do world champion, this was before it became an Olympic sport otherwise I would have wanted to be an Olympian. I didn’t make the team but I was invited to train with the England Squad. I had passion, I had drive, I had indomitable spirit.
What happened to the girl who stood up for her beliefs, strived to achieve her dreams? This is the person I want to be – the person I used to be.

I just want to be me.

Be proud of who I am and what I’ve achieved and where I’m going.